Thursday, November 4, 2010

Gulf Water Healing Ceremony 7 24

I participated in a Service for the Healing of the Gulf of Mexico today. We gathered at the Blue Hole, the headwaters of the SA River. We came to offer our prayers and blessings into this water headed for the Guld of Mexico.

Dianne Monroe called the gathering inspired by similar gatherings across the country promoted by a group called Radical Joy For Hard Times. RJFHT invites an environmentalism that is intimate. Their idea is simple, travel to a site that has been under environmental assault and perform acts of beauty there. On June 19th, 2010 ceremonies were held on 7 continents.

Beauty was with us increasingly as our time together unfolded. At first, I hear armored tones as I speak. I know I have some work to do to shift my consciousness. My mind is filled with negative thoughts such as what am I doing here? What good is this going to do? Why do I want to sit and here people complain?

Fortunately, memory reminds me of the potential power of ritual. Not knowing what will be, I choose to open up my heart and receive the gifts of ceremony. I will welcome divine spirit in whatever form it comes.

We begin with a smudging ceremony, smoke from burning sage surrounds the Blue Hole. It is so simple and yet so beautiful. I see that someone has dropped a plastic tub of McDonald's ketchup into the well. I wanted to jump in and get in. I can't ignore the item, but imagine it might be illegal and or inappropriate to go into the well. I feel embarassed by my grouchy mental state

Some of us speak only English. Others speak only Spanish. Linda Xmines translates, enabling a quality of connection and the formation of community. A gentleness enters that can be seen on our faces.
We sit along the banks of the stream and begin sharing words. Words do not equal grief, words do not equal emotion, but once authentic emotion is permitted, we find our humanity. I turn inside. I feel numb. My mind is filled with thoughts not feelings. Awareness dawns first through sensation. I sense a heaviness, and am not surprised by this. Discouragement and overwhelm have been with me. Noticing the state of consciousness, I call upon my faith. Life comes into me as I journey from my head to my heart. I am grateful that I found companions this morning.

Soon a hawk flies down and perches himself on a tree limb directly above the center of the stream, a short distance away from us. He is the largest bird I have seen up close in a long time. He flies away and then returns to the same branch. The grumbling in my head stops. Stillness.

We are invited to walk in quiet solitude on the paths and areas nearby. Hunger arises in my belly. I silently chastise myself for failing to prepare adaquately. I accept that some days I am better connected to spirit than others.

We return to our seats on the banks in this place where the river begins. People place flowers, leaves and other offerings to guide their prayers downstream. The argument in my head regarding the ketchup in the well persists. Will I ever become a dignified minister or will I remain the wild child that I am? Because this idea has persisted this long, I honor it and decide to act. I explain that if this is our sanctuary and the blue hole our altar, then I will not allow pollution to remain. I turn and face my target, the trash that sit at the bottom. I dive, and quickly Ive completed my mission. I feel refreshed, awake and happier than I have been all day.

Soon, a few women begin to leave. An old lullaby "Deep Blue Sea" by John Bell comes to my mind, and I thank Spirit for the gift. I sing and people join with me on the last verse. Teary eyes, mine and others let me knew that trusting my intuition is always the way to go.
The ceremony ends and we linger nearby. Diane tells that when I was singing the fish that were in and near the Blue Hole had gathered. She says that she had watched them all morning and this was the only time it happened.
I give thanks, Spirit of Life for calling us to peace, wonder and faith.

Friends who are activists and those who are spirit oriented, join me in remembering that every act can be transformative. Much depends on our intention. And when our intention isn't what we want it to be, as I found this morning, we need only turn to our hearts, our faith and the source of all life. Then we stand on sacred ground, and receive gifts for the blessed work ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment