Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Caught In A Summer Rainstorm With My 90yr Old Mother

I was taking Mother for her daily stroll (she in wheelchair). We stopped at the AMH community gardens, and met Cliff. He came out and gladly told us all about the greenhouse where veggies grow year round. A rain drop fell on us. Then another. We got half way back and it started coming down a bit more. I chose to seek shelter under a large overhang rather than risk getting caught in what was coming.
Initially Mother was clearly worried. "Where did you park?!" she asked several times. Mostly choosing faith, I felt a fear thought bubble through my body. Had I messed up? This and my mother's worries seemed to fade quickly in the face of my effusive delight for the scene. Being outside in a summer storm, ... given sufficient shelter and safety... well that's up there for me.. Glorious!!! The contrast of colors was magnificent! Initially there was a bit of light in the Eastern sky and the rest was dark to the horizon. Then the entire sky became dark, and the heavy rain came.
My stomach fluttered a bit. I imagined that if it didn't pass quickly my mother might become upset. I didn't express and could hold that worry long. The beauty was too much! The Eastern sky became dark and the western horizon now had a bit of light. Ah, the storm was moving east. Soon the sun became visible in the western sky. It threw a spotlight on the third floor of the vacant "Hovay Fruit Co. / Grist Mill at 222 Maple St. I have dreamed of buying this building. I was amused to be pinned down right here. "Okay God, I'll stop kvetching." The typically fabulous lighting of twilight was multiplied by the storm event.
The rain continued, and another wave of concern passed through me. (Sigh) "It's picking back up." These words no sooner out of my mouth, when I saw it. A rainbow, very faint in the Eastern sky. After a while the colors became more and more vibrant.
Mom said it was the first rainbow she had seen in years. Ah, the hero child son redeemed again!
Next,...you guessed it! A second rainbow, faint in comparison formed on top of the first. I went out into the street. A light rain continued. Okay I'm hearing that guy's voice now, because now in the Eastern sky ... was a full double rainbow. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a rainbow so close, so full and bright (the lower bow).
Even though the rain hadn't completely stopped, I convinced Mom to let me take her into the street to see the full rainbow. Then I rolled her back to "The Pines."
When I arrived two hours earlier, she appeared and sounded miserable. On the way back into her room, as she spoke to the Aide, Trudy of her adventure, I'd pretty sure it was joy I heard in her voice.
For True!

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.312077,-73.632823,3a,75y,7.39h,90.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seKTAngCrSXhxW3zwWV20ow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment